The Milton-Union Public Library first opened its doors on the second floor of the old City Building on South Miami Street (downtown) in the spring of 1937. It opened with 1,500 books on the shelves, 800 of which had been donated by members of the community. After relocating several times, the library moved into its permanent home at 560 S. Main Street in March 1979. A new 3,600 square foot addition was completed in February 2002. In 2005, the library joined a state-wide consortium, SEO (Serving Every Ohioan), which currently provides access to over 1.3 million items for our library patrons.
The library is the community's information, education, and entertainment center. From those early days in '37, the library has grown from owning 1500 volumes to the current local inventory of over 70,000 items including books, magazines, audio books, videos, DVDs, CDs, games and puzzles.